Information presented on this page was obtained from the Town of Bethany Beach Heritage Trail brochure, Delaware State Historic Preservation Office, owners and occupants of the homes and photographs taken while walking through town. (click here for Heritage Trail map)
Addy Cottage (#6)
Located at 104 Second Street
This was the first of several cottages built by John M. Addy, one of the original six Pittsburgh businessmen, who founded the Town - Built in 1902, the house is a symmetrical five-bay, one and a half story Folk Victorian house. A cross-gable roof displays a slight eave overhang supported by molded wooden brackets. A raking cornice adorns the roof-wall junction, while lace-like spandrels add Queen Anne detailing to the gable pitch.
An interior corbelled brick chimney is located in the ridge of the gable roof and weathered wood shingles cover the original clapboard siding. A large screened porch with replaced posts and balusters encompasses the projecting gable-roof central wing.
Dinker - Irvin Cottage (#14)
The Dinker Cottage, built around 1902 and originally located on the south side of First Street, is now located on the south west corner of the intersection of Route 1 and Garfield Parkway at 310 Garfield Extension. During 1923 and 1924, the house served as the local Post Office.
Errett Cottage (#4)
Located at 109 1st Street
William E. Errett, one of the original six Pittsburgh businessmen, who founded the Town of Bethany Beach, built this home in 1903. The home is still owned by the Errett family.
This folk-Victorian cottage is a symmetrical five-bay, one-and-a-half-story home. It has a side gable roof with a slight eave overhang supported by molded wooden brackets. The raking cornice adorns the roof-wall junction and lace-like spandrels add Queen Anne detailing to the gable pitch. An interior corbelled brick chimney is located in the ridge of the gable roof and weathered wood shingles cover the original clapboard siding. There is a large screened porch, with turned spindle supports, which encompasses the projecting gable-roof central wing. Centrally located, the wooden front door has a single large pane of glass set into the upper portion. Incised decorative detailing exists directly below the pane. Symmetrically placed, double-hung windows, exhibit a single pane in each sash.
The Drexler House (#3)
Located at 99 Campbell Place, although the house number indicates 22 N. Atlantic Avenue.
Built in 1905, the Drexler Cottage was the home of State Senator Louis Drexler.
The house was moved back from the ocean three times. It is now turned 90 degrees so that its front door faces south on Campbell Place instead of east, as originally built, when the Drexler family could walk down the front steps to the beach.
Lattimer Cottage (#7)
Located at 48 North Atlantic Avenue
Built by R. S. Lattimer, one of the original six Pittsburgh businessmen, this is a cross-gable, three bay house, with a side hall entrance and a wrap around porch. Originally covered in clapboard siding with decorative lace spandrels in each gable pitch, this house is now covered in hand hewn wood shingles.
Addy Sea (#8)
Located at 99 Ocean View Parkway and the beach
The "Addy Sea", built in 1902 was the 4th of 5 houses built by John M. Addy. In 1935 it was converted into a guest house and is now operated as a bed and breakfast.
The Scott House (#2)
Located at 99 Parkwood Street
The "Sco-Hi-Tay" built about 1928 by the Scott sisters: Anne Scott, Belle Scott Heiber, and Maize Scott Taylor.
The Townsend House (#1)
Located at 98 Parkwood Street
The Townsend House was built in the 1920s by Priney Townsend. In 1950, the house was turned and a full length deck was added on the ocean side.